On 11/21/10 08:27, Günther wrote:
about Nexenta*

If you talk about the different versions of Nexenta, you must understand the
business modell of Nexenta Sytems Inc. (nexenta.com), the company behind all of
them. It similar to Citrix with XEN/ Xenserver or Vmware with free esxi with
the free-core idea.

Thirst they offer NexentaStor. It's a commercial ZFS-Storage Server (appliance)
for enterprise needs with support and commercial Plug-Ins. Licence costs are
based on capacity, support-level and plug-ins. It is for storage-use only and
is managed via a web-ui or a console config tool (shell-use not supported by
service). There is no support or recommendation about other services like mail,
web or database applications.

Second, they offer Nexentastor Community Edition (nexentastor.org). Its the
same like Nexentastor (new features are often first in Community Edition, so
its also someting like we know about Solaris and Solaris Express - a little bit
of a betatest-stage) but without support, without commercial plugins and
limited to 12 TB at the moment and also limited to storage use.

Third, they offer NexentaCore. Its the base of the above. Its something like
Ubuntu-Server (most of their apps could be installed by apt-get install) with a
Solaris Kernel (build 134 with some backported fixes from newer builds).
NexentaCore is completely free, not limited in any features, capacity or to add
other services like mail, web or others. But its CLI-only. The Nexenta-Web-UI
is not part of NexentaCore. If you want to manage it remotely via a Web-UI from
your browser, you can add my napp-it (but also without support) to do so, just
like you can add it with Solaris Express 11.

gea
Thanks gea, for you time to tell me about about nexenta, I'm have been very happy with nexenta core 3 on a few systems of mine :-)

      Regards
      Edward