Hi All,

this weekend i will upgrade our main server from snv_111b to snv_151a (Solaris
11 express). This will not really be an upgrade, but a new installation.
I tested the new system on identical hardware (except for the data pool) and
installed it on an external USB disk, which i can simply plug into the old
server and boot from it. I did a quick test and the new system boots ok on the
old server.

My questions is about our 5 TB data pool:
Is  there any risk in upgrading zpool and zfs?
Do the pool / datasets have to be offline while upgrading?
How long will it probably take?
What, if power fails during the upgrade?
Of course, i have a backup of the data pool, but i have not yet rehearsed a
complete restore, so i want to keep risk at a minimum.

Comparing the old and new zpool capabilities i saw:
        16  stmf property support
Do i need this for COMSTAR iscsi?

Asides from new capabilities, have there also been enhancements of the existing
ones?

Thank you for your help,

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-62394
Fax   :            -3341