On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Muhammed Syyid <opensolaris at syyid.net>
wrote:
> Thanks a bunch for the speedy reply and yep that sounds exactly like the
> problem. I'll stick with just buying a new adapter - (don't want to mess
> things up further :))
> Any advice on specific cards? The cheapest I could find was the intel gigabit
> CT Desktop Adapter based on the 82754L Chip

I've bought the exact same one. It works flawlessly and was detected
out of the box by snv_111b (2009.06). The only tweak you'll have to do
is either tell NWAM to prioritize that NIC so it stops plumbing the
Realtek one by default, or configure the network manually. It's not
that difficult, the OpenSolaris Bible takes you through it step by
step.

> I can't find a list but the e1000g driver page
> (http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5177/e1000g-7d?a=view) talks about
> jumbo frame support of 9k on cards with the chip 82571 and above, so I'm
> presuming the 82754 will be ok?

I haven't configured Jumbo frames as the NIC on my main desktop
doesn't support them, but I *assume* it should be OK too.

Greetings,
Laurent.