Sure, that is my 'invention', with /root for root. And I don't see anything
wrong at that.

Everything worked in nv70 and 78, as it is, (I only upgraded) and - yes - I
have read passwd(4) and login(1) and now I hope for some way to go back to my
desktop, because that's my desktop at work.

[i]So Im afraid that whatever the problem is you have caused it yourself by
changing the root account homedirectory or /etc/password or /etc/profile or
similar [/i]
'caused yourself' is a bit harsh, it did work for 70 and 78, introducing /root
is Unix practice and - following the man pages as cited - HOME should be
defined as written down in /etc/passwd.
At least, it doesn't do the latter, when it defaults to /root for whichever
user. Yes, /root is defined HOME for root in passwd. But that should -
according to the man pages - not affect other users.
The only change I did was changing HOME for root in passwd, I haven't touched
/etc/profile or similar.
Please, if any of what I write here is wrong, correct me.

Maybe you can help me at getting back my desktop, you know much more than me. I
am still a newbie on Solaris, and the '/root' was done on suggestion from
blastwave (for mplayer, pan). For the rest it is pretty much standard
SXDE+nv78+nv81.

Thanks,

Uwe