[i]I have had a look into the Solaris security toolkit , download link below.
So what did you do exactly ?
[/i]

Full of confidence into a history of Unix,
vi /etc/passwd
[cf. OpenBSD] to change the parameters for root. That was all.

[i]You had snv78 installed with some modifications .
Did you do an upgrade install or a Liveupgrade ? [/i]

(Still) an upgrade install, due to various reasons, one being to volunteer as
guinea-pig for the [future] layperson approach. Always hoping that HOME remains
accessible; and some helpful chap in the forums here helps me to get X up
again. ;)

Uwe