OK, i managed to solve it myself, not ideal solution though. I followed
instructions (below) to download/build and install the SUNWipkg package
manually:

#hg clone ssh://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/hg/pkg/gate
#cd ~/gate/src
#/usr/bin/make
#sudo make install
#cd ../packages/i386
#sudo pkgadd -d . all

Note: make sure your using /usr/ccs/bin/make and not the GNU make. By default
OpenSolaris 2008.05 seems to use the GNU version (#which make) WHICH IS
SACRILIG!

Then "#pkg image update" to get latest build.

It would be nice if there was a SUNWipkg.pkg to download and install using
pkgadd in the event that pkg client breaks or some idiot like me uninstalls it!