I just remembered something. There is a "-r" option that you can pass to the
unix kernel through grub at boot time. I think one of my manuals said something
like:

"Option -r reconfigures the /dev and /devices directories by probing all the
attached hardware devices. You'll need to use this when you add new devices to
a system or if you change the configuration of a hardware device. The kernel
will rebuild the /dev and /devices directory with the names and references
required to use the devices."

So try booting with a "-rv" option in grub and tell me if it works. I'm not an
expert by any means but trying to tell the kernel at boot time to reconfigure
the device tree like this might do the trick.