> I have opensolaris 118 and 111b installed on an ata drive.  When I
> attempt to boot into the system, I receive the usual grub screen,
> then when the os attempts to start it tosses up the first few lines,
> then halts and reboots.
>
> Any ideas what's up?  I'm dead in the water here.

Assuming that it's kernel panic that's rebooting your machine, you
can try approaching the problem first using the kernel debugger before
going shopping for the laptop and nullmodem cable.

To boot with the debugger enabled, on the grub menu press 'e' to edit
the entry, and edit the $kernel line, appending "-kv" at the end.

While you're at it, you may remove the splashimage/foreground/backgroud
lines as well and change "console=graphics" to "console=text", otherwise
if the system will get to the graphical mode, you won't see any
messages (but, as your system drops in the text mode, probably that's
unnecessary).

'b' boots the system.

If you're lucky, you'll get dropped to kmdb prompt and/or get more
messages. Internets tell that at the prompt you can
use ::status, ::stack and ::msgbuf commands to get various interesting
outputs, and probably diagnose what's the reason for reboots.

Cheers,

Einar.