On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 3:18 AM, weknox<wek...@mac.com> wrote:
> OK, a bit dramatic but ...
>
> I have opensolaris 118 and 111b installed on an ata drive.  When I attempt to
> boot into the system, I receive the usual grub screen, then when the os
> attempts to start it tosses up the first few lines, then halts and reboots.

Hi,

I bumped into the same issue when I tried to update to snv_118 last
week. It didn't work, so I went back to snv_111b and deleted the
failing BE. Now I've just tried again with snv_121 and the symptoms
are the same, but now I know how to get some output from the boot
process. Here's what adding "-kv" to the kernel$ line in Grub produces
(as well as booting in text mode):

module /platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix: text at [0xfffffffffb800000,
0xfffffffffb9371db] data at 0xfffffffffbc00000
module /kernel/amd64/genunix: text at [0xfffffffffb9371e0,
0xfffffffffbb8c53f] data at 0xfffffffffbc80280
module /kernel/misc/amd64/kmdbmod: text at [0xfffffffffbceff30,
0xfffffffffbd9151f] data at 0xfffffffffbd91520
module /kernel/misc/amd64/ctf: text at [0xfffffffffbb8c540,
0xfffffffffbb96eb7] data at 0xfffffffffbdac820
Unexpected trap
instruction pointer 0x28
error code, optional 0x4
code segment 0x46
flags register 0xfffffffffbc50bd8
return %rsp 0x8
return %ss 0xc40
Attempting stack backtrace:
Stack traceback:
  0x28)
  0x4c000000b8ec8148)
unexpected trap in early boot
Press any key to reboot.

And that's about it. I was attempting to update to see if the
(apparently) faulty rge driver had been fixed, but as I'm not even
able to boot I'm stuck with it.

I've kept the BE containing snv_121 this time around, so that I can
mount it if you ever need some more info.

Thanks for the help.

--
Laurent Bardin -- 06 10 68 18 04

GTalk : laurent.bar...@gmail.com  <http://www.google.com/talk/>