> Booting from the CD, it error's out after loading the
> LiveCD system, probing devices, setting up ZFS
> filesystem... Gets my input for keyboard and
> language. Then goes to a OpenSolaris console login.
> I log in with the generic login and password - which
> gets me to a console (terminal) desktop
>  prompt($)...

It seems to have a problem starting the GUI environment.

After you login on the LiveCD text console using username
and password "jack" / "jack", check the contents of
/var/log/Xorg.0.log  - does it contain any error messages
from the Xorg server why it doesn't start?

Another thing you could try: Did you already try the "VESA"
boot option of the  LiveCD?  Does that boot in the LiveCD GUI?