I think there is a GUI to do this as well -   System/Administration/Network ?

By default you have nwam online from the DHCP type install and you have to change to default for static IPs.

motie:/home/lw31248 ->svcs -a | grep physical
disabled       May_16   svc:/network/physical:nwam
online         May_16   svc:/network/physical:default

svcadm disable svc:/network/physical:nwam
svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default

Then you can set your host file etc

/etc/nodename <= if you change nodename then you need to reboot
/etc/inet/hosts
/etc/inet/netmasks
/etc/hostname.<interface>
/etc/defaultrouter <= or router discovery if this file does not exist

->ls -l host*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  6 Feb  4  2009 hostname.nge0 <your interface type>
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Feb  4  2009 hosts -> ./inet/hosts

/etc/resolv.conv <= Add your resolv.conf

cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf <= change the name service file to what you need

Enable the DNS client once you have an /etc/resolv.conf in place

svcadm enable svc:/network/dns/client:default

motie:/etc ->svcs | grep dns
online         May_16   svc:/network/dns/client:default
online         May_16   svc:/network/dns/multicast:default

Then restart the name service cache damon (needs this whenever the nsswitch.conf is changed.)

svcadm restart system/name-service-cache