Thank you WolfPup, it took me a while to actually understand where
this JIRA was coming from, and where it was going... lots of info in
there.

I managed to finally compile with fmod, and to make the viewer run.
For the people who still have issues with the whole process, here is
what I did :

- Downloaded fmodapi375win.zip from the fmod website. I actually did
this 3 years ago but this zip is still up to date, and I'm glad it is
:)
- Zipped the contents of the fmodapi375win folder into
fmodapi375win.tar.bz2 (7z can do that)
- Placed fmodapi375win.tar.bz2 somewhere easily reachable (mine was in D:\SL)
- Modified autobuild.xml :
                fmod > windows > url  = file:///SL/fmodapi375win.tar.bz2
                fmod > windows > hash = (the hash of this file that I calculated
after zipping it)
                made sure that -DFMOD is set to TRUE
- Ran autobuild, fmod was extracted correctly
- Copied fmodapi375win.tar.bz2 into D:\SL\linden\ and extracted it
there. I did this because otherwise fmod.h and fmod_errors.h wouldn't
be found when trying to build llaudio (adding the path to fmod.h into
the llaudio include paths works as well, but for some reason it still
fails at the end of the build, so actually extracting to
fmodapi375win/ is better and easier)
- Built the viewer, had a failure with VivoxAUP.txt (never heard of
this one, anybody ran into this ?) but secondlife-bin.exe was built
- Copied app_settings/, character/, fonts/, skins/ and gpu_table.txt
into the release/ folder as usual, tried to run the viewer but had a
0xc000007b failure... it took some time to find out that some dlls had
not been copied. So I copied libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll, winmm.dll,
zlib1.dll and maybe a couple more into release/, and miracle, it
works. And I haz sound !

Marine