For a missing hyphen... :)  I meant edge-on.

Here's how to reproduce the issue:
Rez a cube
Verify that Snap is disabled
Orient camera to directly face one of the prim faces
Select rotate mode or hold the correct modifier key(s)
Using the mouse drag on the rotate circle that is most like a line - aka it
is "edge-on"
Observe that as you drag along the line of circle the cube it rotates
smoothly (expected)
Observe that if you drag off the line - as if snapping was enabled and you
wished to snap - and then again in the direction of the line that it will
snap. (not expected)

Hope that helps clarify

Ps. Sorry for the dup email Darien, I forgot to reply all.

On Sunday, November 25, 2012, Darien Caldwell <darien.caldw...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'm a little unsure what "Edge on rotation" means. I can rotate a prim on
every axis in-world with snap off, and it never snaps. At least, not unless
I make it snap by engaging the Angle ring outside the circumfrence of the
rotation handle. Then it snaps as it should.

> I hope your patch isn't breaking this functionality, it's intended and
desirable.

> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Ricky <kf6...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just reported BUG-885, "Edge-on prim rotation snaps when snap is
disabled"  Patch attached.
>> Looks like this bug has been in place for a very long time - dates back
to revision 0 of the code repository, committed by James Cook (James
Linden).
>> I've been delving back into the source code after a year and a half
away.  I have to compliment LL, and all else involved, on the streamlined
compile setup - smoother even than the old develop.py system, definitely
better than the transition period when I last attempted! :D
>> I found this bug while I was working on learning/cleaning the code
structure in the LLManip* classes in preparation for reviving an old
project.  Imagine my surprise when I found that one of the cases didn't
have a check for whether Snapping was enabled!  So I took to opportunity to
delve deeper and work out a fix.  Enjoy!
>> Ricky
>> Cron Stardust
>> PS, for Firestorm I also reported it as FIRE-8338 as that is where I
originally found the bug - however it exists in every viewer I've looked
at.  Based on my research I think it's been in existence since snapping was
first introduced - whenever that was!