On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Henri Beauchamp <sl...@free.fr> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> During my never-ending viewer code cleanup efforts, I came accross an
> old floater, the "Telehub" one... If I am correct, I think this dates
> back from the most ancient times of SL, when it was not possible to TP
> all over the grid, but only to some pre-defined hubs... Fact is, since
> my fist day in SL, back in 2006, I never came accross one such thing
> as a telehub on the grid !
>
> I checked, and that code is still in the newest v3 viewer branches.
>
> So my question is: is there any practical usage any more for that
> "Telehub" floater ?

Telehubs are available to privately owned estates. I don't know how common
usage actually is, but they offer some unique features that aren't
available with parcel landing points.

These allow estate owners to:

* configure multiple spawn points so agents are distributed to multiple
specific locations within a region regardless of the attempted TP location
* set spawn points on a build and then move the build with ingress points
still intact (internally, the sim references target prims rather than
locations - it should even be possible to move an object with scripts to
prevent pileups, although I don't know if that's been tested)
* route teleports to a single region for teleport attempts into any other
region that's in the same estate, and where the alternate region isn't
configured to allow direct teleport

--
*Brian McGroarty *| Application Security, Platform Engineering

*Linden Lab* | Makers of Shared Creative Spaces <http://lindenlab.com/>