There is a Nvidia control program that comes with a list of registered
programs and which graphics chip they should run on. An individual can add
to/edit that list.

When this was a new issue years ago someone at LL found the right person to
contact inside Nvidia and got the viewer's name added to the list of
programs to run on the high performance chip. Searching the history on this
list for nvidia & optimus might yield a result if it's not obvious how to
register a program on nvidia's web support page.