**

*For several years now, we have had the ability to fetch textures directly via HTTP. This has several advantages. It reduces load on the simulator, which no longer needs to act as an intermediary, and allows textures to be fetched reliably and efficiently using a CDN; this mean that data is more likely to come from a nearby machine, giving better performance for our residents. Last year, we added the ability to fetch several other types of in-world assets the same way, and have had very good results with the change. Although the Linden Lab official Second Life viewer no longer uses the old non-HTTP method of fetching assets, the simulator code has still been present, allowing other viewers to continue using the old method of fetching assets by way of the simulator.*

*

In the interests of continuing to improve performance and user experience, we will be removing the old non-HTTP fetching methods from our simulators in early 2019. This means that any viewers that are still fetching the affected asset types via UDP will no longer work correctly after that time.

The affected asset types are:

 *

   AT_LANDMARK

 *

   AT_CLOTHING

 *

   AT_BODYPART

 *

   AT_GESTURE

 *

   AT_ANIMATION

 *

   AT_SOUND

The planned date of the changeover is January 6, 2019. Please make sure any viewers you are working on have updated their asset fetching methods by then. If you have any questions about this process, please contact Oz.

*

--
OZ LINDEN | Senior Director, Second Life Engineering
email or hangouts: o...@lindenlab.com <mailto:o...@lindenlab.com> | Real Life: Scott Lawrence