> > #if !defined(BF_PTR) && !defined(BF_PTR2)
> > #define BF_PTR
> > #endif
> i.e. the comment is effectively *disregarded*, isn't it?

This is autogenerated in Configure.

My vote is for generating just one file config.h and include it
where necessary, to avoid this confusion. (And I support Richard's
proposal to include the .err files instead of copying them in.
Is there any reason for not doing that?)

> I myself would vote for the first alternative unless someone can either:
>
> - confirm that *(unligned long *)((unsigned char *)p+i&~7) generates the
> unwanted unaligned load instruction on Alpha;
> - confirm that the library compiles and works under MS-DOS and the
> development team *cares* about it;

I am making if #ifdef WIN16 for now.

We really should define a 32 bit data type globally.