On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 07:30:15PM +0200, Anonymous wrote:

[...]
> Moving everything to /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl doesn't make much sense
> though.
> - That will leave /usr/local/ssl/include empty except for the subdir.

True, but that shouldn't hurt anyone.  It's just another inode.

> - Hypothetical conflicts with other libraries are already taken care of by
>   having the openssl includes in a separate place and using
>   -I/usr/local/ssl/include.

As long as you don't try to use OpenSSL and a conflicting libary for
the same program.  I think someone reported a problem of that type.

> - It'll require source code changes in all existing applications (makefiles).

This is a bit annoying, but to compile an application that was written
for an earlier library version, adding a compiler option
-I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl would be enough.  So it's not much of
a problem really.

> To me, moving the includes only makes sense if we're going to get rid of
> /usr/local/ssl entirely and instead put things in /usr/local/bin,
> /usr/local/lib, and /usr/local/include/openssl (what should happen to certs
> and private?).

I'd prefer to keep OpenSSL in one place (which conventionally is
/usr/local/ssl, though some might prefer /opt/[open]ssl) instead of
distributing it all over the directory tree.  Then the link from
/usr/local/include/openssl helps to find the other stuff.  Installing
the openssl binary in /usr/local/bin makes sense, I usually set
symbolics links for that too.