[EMAIL PROTECTED] (William M. Perry):

>>> Any reason the dependencies aren't auto-generated?

>> They are!

> I do not mean by the developers - I mean stripping them out of the
> distribution and let the generation of dependencies be part of the
> configuration or standard make process.

For some time (Configure versions 1.57 up to 1.80 in our CVS
repository; OpenSSL 0.9.2b has version 1.30, OpenSSL 0.9.3 has 1.87),
this used to happen automatically whenever you said "no-idea" or
something like that (the dependencies weren't stripped out of the
distribution [the daily snaphots in this case] though).  However it
was pointed out that this has problems; e.g. Ben wrote that

<                    "make depend" is unlikely to be portable. Certainly
< on some systems (e.g. SCO) there's not even a way to generate
< dependencies at all unless X is installed, and even then it doesn't
< work the same.