From: Jeffrey Altman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

jaltman> This is indeed a serious problem.  Every structure that is needed by
jaltman> the library should be allocated as dynamic memory.  X509_STORE_CTX
jaltman> should be declared as something like
jaltman>
jaltman>   typedef struct _x509_store_ctx * X509_STORE_CTX;
jaltman>
jaltman> so that
jaltman>
jaltman>   X509_STORE_CTX_init(&ctx,...);

I agree that going for dynamic memory is the right thing to do.
However, I don't believe the method above is a good one.  Why?
Because it's aimed at making the transition as painless as possible,
and will lead to memory hogs among the programs whose authors don't
pay enough attention.  If we change the behavior, let's change the
API while we're at it, so it won't go unnoticed!

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-161 43  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.