> What if certificates could be issued by Municipalities CAs ? Just like
they
> issue ID cards ? I mean, now you need a credit-card to demonstrate you are
you
> and able to spend... thnik about the possibility to get certificates
issued
> by govenaments (municipalities for examples) ... they are trusted because,
if
> standards and policies are matched, you generally trust your governments
(at
> least if you are not American... :-D It's a joke... ). That would
guarantee
> your ID online and open services that could be offered to nearly every
application
> you can think of....
>
> C'you,
>
> Massimiliano Pala ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

I agree with you. Here in Sri Lanka, we are trying to promote the same
thing. Trying to promote CAs to be implemented by government institutes and
even Banks. They know who they deal with than Verisign which is thousands of
miles away. It will be having a better binding on the certificates than
those from Verisign which are issued without even seeing them.

Rasika Amarasiri