appro> Why not simply relax the compiler with /STANDARD=RELAXED or whatever:-)

Sure, we can do that.  Is that the right thing to do?  I remember that
at some point, it was "all hail ANSI C", something I support.  But not
only that, if this problem is enough to actually create errors on
"MS-DOS and all those sick small/medium/large/huge memory models" or
on other segmented architectures (I don't know that many, but...), is
it then the right thing to tell the compiler to shut up so we don't
have to bother with it.

We need to decide if this is something that actually warrants our
attention, or if we think it can be safely ignored.

(I personally don't mind relaxing DEC C a bit, although it will
sometimes take away half the fun :-).  I know it will work correctly
on VMS...  and on the Unixen I play with)

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-161 43  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.