Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> Hmm.  There's no need to have the password in a file, that can as well
> be piped in ('cat passwdfile | openssl x509 -passstdin ...' to take a
> Unixly example, and yes, there's a way to do that on VMS as well).

Yes but there's windoze to consider as well... I wish it could be
ignored too.

> However, a choice of FD (if something other than stdin) could be
> fancy.
>
> For inspiration, you can do that with PGP 2.6.3 by putting the fd
> number in the environment variable FD (surprise! :-)).  Another way
> might be to declare the fd through yet another parameter.
>
> However, I'm not sure I see the absolute need for that kind of
> fanciness...

I'm thinking of redoing this so its handled another way. Since there are
no releases with -passsin, -envpassin I'm free to break it :-)

Maybe something like

-pass{in,out} source:arg

which would have things like...

password:hello
env:ENV_PASSWD
fd:5
file:mypasswdfile.txt

All routed through a single app_get_passwd() function which should tidy
this all up a bit. Currenly all the apps are redundantly doing the same
thing.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/