> drh> Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> drh> >
> drh> >
> drh> > Hmm.  There's no need to have the password in a file, that can as well
> drh> > be piped in ('cat passwdfile | openssl x509 -passstdin ...' to take a
> drh> > Unixly example, and yes, there's a way to do that on VMS as well).
> drh>
> drh> Yes but there's windoze to consider as well... I wish it could be
> drh> ignored too.
>
> Uhmm, so pipes are out of the question in windoze?  Seriously?  What
> about redirection?  I'm pretty sure I've seen examples of both...

And why can't pipes be used in Windows?

> drh> Maybe something like
> drh>
> drh> -pass{in,out} source:arg
> drh>
> drh> which would have things like...
> drh>
> drh> password:hello
> drh> env:ENV_PASSWD
> drh> fd:5
> drh> file:mypasswdfile.txt
>
> Is a colon really the best choice?  In Windows/DOS and VMS, a colon is
> an inherent and important part of the file spec. (probably more in VMS
> than in Windows/DOS...)
>
> Apart from that, I like the idea.

Using a colon in this context should not be a problem since the first
colon is the tag separator.  After that the colon can be part of the
filename.

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
              612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025
  http://www.kermit-project.org/k95.html * [EMAIL PROTECTED]