> On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 12:34:38PM -0400, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>
> > I definitely do understand this.  But since the software was exported
> > from the U.S. without restrictions it is not legal in this country for
> > the government to pass a law to apply retro-active restrictions to
> > that software later on.
>
> >From the BXA regulations:
>
>     Note to this paragraph: Neither review and classification nor
> reexport licensing requirements are required under this section for
> foreign finished products using U.S.-origin source code, toolkits
> and components; yet the foreign finished products remain subject to
> the EAR.            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ^^^^^^^
>
> I know very little about US law, but I think it is pretty obvious that
> the US government can change the regulations for products that are
> "subject to the EAR".

But being "subject to the EAR" is not dependent on whether or not it
has US source code in the product.  OpenSSL cannot be exported from
the US in a finished product whether that product is US or not.  It
doesn't matter.

                  Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
               612 West 115th St * New York, NY * 10025 * USA
     http://www.kermit-project.org/ * [EMAIL PROTECTED]