Dave Barter wrote:

> I hope I have the right list for this, my apologies if I don't.
>
> I would like to modify the openssl genrsa program to "quietly" generate
> keys, ie. Not print the '.' and '+' characters to STDOUT when generation
> occurs. Basically I would like to add the flag -quiet to the genrsa
> command line.
>
> I guess this may be useful in other functions as well, or it may be that
> I am the only person annoyed by it !
>
> I have had a brief glance at the code to try and ascertaint the best way
> to do this, and notice that in genrsa.c for example all output to the
> screen goes through a function called BIO_printf(). I was considering
> modifying this function to suppress output if the -quiet flag was
> present.

openssl-SNAP-20011003 > grep BIO_printf crypto/*/*.c ssl/*.c | wc -l
    227

Are you really shure you don't break something with this change ?

> Could somebody on the list give me a brief summary of the BIO_printf
> function and also advise whether there would be a better method to
> achieve my aim.

it is a printf for the BIO interface.

If you don't want these outputs, change the callbacks that print them...

Bye

Goetz

--
Goetz Babin-Ebell, TC TrustCenter AG, http://www.trustcenter.de
Sonninstr. 24-28, 20097 Hamburg, Germany