On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 08:18:34PM +0000, Joe Orton wrote:

>>> Yes, afraid so, these changed between "b" and "c"... the only other

>> Hmm.  Thinking of it, I'm not sure if that should count as an
>> incompatibility.  At least not in the same way as, say, and API
>> change.  But it does require the user to use functions like
>> CRYPTO_num_locks() instead of macros like CRYPTO_NUM_LOCKS.

> Well, if it means an application which used the CRYPTO_NUM_LOCKS value
> which was compiled against 0.9.6b headers would not work correctly if
> relinked (but not recompiled) against 0.9.6c, that means backwards
> incompatibility. It sounds like this is the case.

An application-provided locking callback may now be called with a lock
type value of 28 whereas the maximum possible value used to be 27, but
value 28 now is CRYPTO_LOCK_DYNLOCK.  This means that if this
incompatibility becomes a problem for some application, then either

- the application is using the 'engine' variant of OpenSSL 0.9.6c
  (which is 'experimental' according to its documentation), or

- the application *itself* is using dynamic looks, meaning that its
  developers can be hoped to be aware that using a constant-sized
  buffer of locks is not a good idea :-)

--
Bodo Möller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
PGP http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/moeller/0x36d2c658.html