From: Bill Pringlemeir [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 7:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Praveen Dulam
Subject: Re: VxWorks and OPEN SSL questions -

 Praveen> Bill I am trying to figure out which of the Dirctories I
 Praveen> need to compile and link to generate a min size
 Praveen> cryptographic binary.

[snip, part of libcrypto features]

 {AUTHENTICATION CODES, HASH FUNCTIONS hmac(3), md2(3), md4(3), md5(3),
 mdc2(3), ripemd(3), sha(3)}

[snip, rest of libcrypto features]

 Praveen> My Environment is : I am have a make file. Where in a
 Praveen> def.xxx and rules.xxx are called.  and then I have target
 Praveen> specifified.  e,g
[snip]
                 -DNO_MD4=1 \

 Praveen> So every time a xxx.o file is generated, it takes these
 Praveen> flags and compiles.

 =================================
 In file included from C:/.../openssl-0.9.6c/crypto/md4/md4_locl.h:62,
                  from C:/.../openssl-0.9.6c/crypto/md4/md4_dgst.c:60:
 c:/.../openssl-0.9.6c/include/openssl/md4.h:67:23:
 #error MD4 is disabled.
 In file included from C:/.../openssl-0.9.6c/crypto/md4/md4_one.c:61:
 c:/.../openssl-0.9.6c/include/openssl/md4.h:67:23:
 #error MD4 is disabled.
 make: *** [md4.o] Error 0x1
 =================================

 Praveen> I don't know if I am missing some compiling methodlogy. The
 Praveen> point for me , I need a small vxworks image.

Riddle me this, why would you compile files name `md4_XXXX.c' when you
have used a define to say "-DNO_MD4"?  Do you see a problem?  Can you
see a `compiling methodlogy' that might work?

This is somewhat scary to me.  Your product won't be secure if you
don't understand things.  This seems to be a pretty basic concept that
might occur to a person, don't compile code that you don't need.  Once
you actually get the product to build, you will need to do several
things to vxWorks to make the product secure.  There is more than just
encryption that goes into this.

Anyways, I am dissuaded from providing any further help to you.  You
must understand some basic concepts about how the OpenSSL library
works.  You should look at the code and study the problem a bit
more...  It does not help you if I feed you answers like this.

fwiw,
Bill Pringlemeir.