Have you considered using "include" files in the Makefiles?  This way
one can
place all the interesting variables in a single file and include that
from all other
Makefiles.  This would also help those gnarly make calls with a million
arguments
to lower Makefiles.  I am not sure if that would help this particular
problem,
but it would sure help to make it more manageable.

My 2 cents,
    _Matute