Lutz,
I pulled the SNAP - openssl-0.9.6-stable-SNAP-20020513.tar.gz
I took out the config file and ftped it to the SUSE linux 64 bit system on
powerpc and
ran the build over again and all worked well.

./config          correctly set the system

make        worked
make test   worked
make install      worked

Thanks.