The first part of David's suggestion is correct: your best bet is to get
  your own legal counsel.

If the charities want to deploy it for their own use, e.g., with Apache
so they can take donations over the net :), then disregard the license
exemption.  Here, your primary concern is: does my use (in the US) of
openssl violate any patents?

The news is mostly good.  RSA has expired.  The RC4-compatible crypto
implementation in openssl *might* be RSA, Inc., property, but you're not
liable.  It could have possibly been trade secret.  At any rate, the
cipher is ARC4, not RSA's RC4, so don't worry.

IDEA, not typically used in SSL/TLS, is patented.  Build your version
with -DNO_IDEA (or whatever the flag is).

That's my advice.  I'm not a lawyer, and more importantly, I'm not
*your* lawyer.
        /r$