I'm afraid this was not a fix.  Have you tried it with gcc-3.1?
I encountered this problem with the 0.9.6d snapshot.

The output of "gcc --version" with gcc version 3.1 is this
(not including the lines of hyphens):

------------
gcc (GCC) 3.1
------------

"gcc -dumpversion" gives just the number:

3.1

The existing config script ends up trying to use "gcc (GCC) 31"
as the value of GCCVER and fails.

It seems the intent of the writers of gcc was to have the "-dumpversion"
output be just the number, as it has been since 1994, and the output
of "--version" be strictly human-readable.

I recommend changing "gcc --version" to "gcc -dumpversion".

-Allen