Title: Question about the latest security patch - malicious usage

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is a bit of a novice question.

I have noticed that in the latest security patch a lot of assertions have been added. If an assertion is not viable then "abort()" is called.

My question is this: Can a malicious user use these assertions to crash an application using the SSL libs? e.g. send a parameter containing a longer than allowed value which will cause the application to call abort and thus exit?

If so then these assertions could be the basis of a denial of service for this application.

Thanking you in advance for your help,

Ori.