In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri, 16 Aug
2002 23:32:19 +0200 (MEST), Rainer Orth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

ro> With the introduction of public key cryptography into the Network Time
ro> Protocol (NTP v4, cf. http://www.ntp.org/), the current version of NTP
ro> became a heavy user of OpenSSL.
ro>
ro> NTP developers strive to keep the sources warning-free with gcc (using
ro> -Wall -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow
ro> -Wstrict-prototypes).  Without OpenSSL, we've been fairly successfull, but
ro> the introduction of OpenSSL worsened the situation alot.  This is primarily
ro> due to the -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes switches above.
ro>
ro> The following patch (relative to OpenSSL 0.9.6g) fixes this and introduces
ro> function prototypes where they used to be missing.

You should take a closer look at 0.9.7 (currently in beta), where a
some of the stricter type handling has already been applied.

One thing in your patch that disturbs me a bit is all the casting,
which should be necessary if the thing you cast is properly written.
We're trying to avoid casting as much as possible, since that entirely
obliterates anything that has to do with type safety...

We will probably not apply your change to the 0.9.6 line of
development, because it's a rather big change, and we try to avoid
that within the same line of development (for now, 0.9.x is a line of
development, so 0.9.7 is a different one, as is 0.9.8 (in development
right now, and where most if the bleeding edge hacking is done)).  We
will definitely take a closer look at your patch for 0.9.7 and 0.9.8.

--
Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Redakteur@Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.