[[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Fri Jan 10 16:35:08 2003]:

> I think a sufficient requirement is that files in the source tree that
> are relative links need to be recreated as relative links within the
> platform dependent directory.

exactly.

> If you just leave out the "-o -type l"
> you won't make any of the links, and the include/openssl directory will
> be empty, which will fail.

Only if you don't configure in your build tree.  Why should you leave that out?

> Of course your source directory needs to be
> absent any residual configuration -- which would cause the script to
> make links to files that would be created by Configure and might then
> cause subsequent Configures to update the source tree version.

What files is Configure creating that you're worried about and that 'make clean'
doesn't take care of?  To be very exact, what in this sequence doesn't work?

  - make the object tree with soft links to the source tree files.
  - make -f Makefile.org clean
  - ./config

> Overall, I think I prefer (modern) make's VPATH, but i'm not sure that
> that fits your requirements for portability.

Well, can you guarantee that VPATH works with all current make implementations?

In any case, the whole make tree needs an overhaul, which I intend to attempt for
0.9.8, but with a lower priority than other stuff...

--
Richard Levitte