On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Richard Levitte via RT wrote:

> [[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Sat Jan  4 19:22:11 2003]:
> > Now I clean up after patch and remove files made from .in files
> >     find . -name "*.orig" -exec rm -f {} \;
> >     rm -f Makefile.ssl apps/CA.pl apps/der_chop \
> >             crypto/opensslconf.h tools/c_rehash
>
> Why do you need to do those removals?  Does something go bad?  Why?

I rechecked, not any more.

I developed my script about the time of 0.9.6a
When the 0.9.7 dev branch firs came out, it also had problems.

> > Now if you don't want to modify your source tree during the build,
> > or your source tree is read-only, do something like.
> >     # make sure the auto generated files are writable
> >     for i in ${FILES}
> >     do
> >             rm -f ${i}
> >             cp ${OPENSSL_SOURCE}/${i} ${i}
> >             chmod ug+w ${i}
> >     done
>
> Please explain to me why those removals are necessary.  To begin with, ${FILES} are
>autogenerated through 'make update', which should be run once in the source tree
>('make -f Makefile.org update'...).

Again this doesn't seem to be necessary anymore on 0.9.7 or HEAD.
(I have not tried 0.9.6 again)

Before moving to a read-only tree I had one platform's build modifying
some of the generated source files that another platform would use/modify
causing some problems. Moving to a read-only tree caused make to crash
with write error on the generated file.

--
Tim Rice                                Multitalents    (707) 887-1469
[EMAIL PROTECTED]