[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Sun May 25 09:42:02 2003]:

> On Fri, 23 May 2003, Lutz Jaenicke via RT wrote:
>

> > > I think my machine has a decent set of patches but as I don't
have root
> > > access I cannot really verify that. Do you think you can do
> > > getconf ARG_MAX and getconf LINE_MAX on your machine such that I
can see
> > > if this is indeed the problem?
> >
> > serv01 24: getconf ARG_MAX
> > 20478
> > serv01 26: getconf LINE_MAX
> > 2048
> >
> > Best regards,
> >     Lutz
>
> Hi Lutz,
>
> I think this must mean there is something wrong with my workstation
or my
> setup. I have exactly the same values as you so this cannot be the
> limiting factor. Perhaps there is a patch which is missing.

Hmm. I have no more specific ideas. I did dig out the following:

PHKL_10176:
        The internal buffer within the kernel was created with a
        length of 20480 bytes, with no provision for increasing its
        size.  This patch provides for up to 100 such buffers, with
        all but the first allocated only if required (that is, if
        more than 20480 bytes of argv/env information is found).
        Thus, exec() now supports up to 2048000 bytes of argv/env
        information.

However: this patch has long been superseeded by PHKL_16750 (and other
later versions of this patch)...

Best regards,
        Lutz