"Stephen Henson via RT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Now if this works in one context but not another then I'd say that one
> is picking up libeay32.dll from 0.9.6 and the other 0.9.7 or later. This
> will depend on the Win32 DLL directories which IIRC depend on PATH, the
> current directory and a few standard places.

Yes,  think excactly that was happening. If I ran Wget in the
background, some other PATH setting seem to be used by Windows
(not my current). And thus the loader was picking up the wrong DLLs.
I retested with having only one wget.exe and one set of the OpenSSL
DLLs on the whole machine. It worked in both forground and background
mode.

Case closed, I think...

--gv