Stephen Henson via RT wrote:

> I'm not sure how portable that patch is as it stands.

What would be the portability problem?  The code is already calling
time() in order to calculate the expiration dates.

>As a portable alternative we could use a large random number for the
>serial number, for example a 159 bit one has negligible chance of
>duplicates.

That seems to be overkill--64 bits would be more than sufficient.

>I'd be interested to know how people are managing to create duplicate
>serial numbers: that is what commands and or scripts are being used to
>do this.

I've asked someone with more direct experience with this to comment on
the ticket.  As I understand it, there are at least two situations:
One, the CA somehow loses its serial number file--it rebuilds the box,
regenerates the CA cert from scratch, or whatever.  Two, the user
generates a self-signed cert with "openssl req -x509" and no serial
number options, resulting in a cert with (nonconforming) serial number 0.