In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:09:42 -0500, Geoff Thorpe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

geoff> On March 25, 2004 10:44 am, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
geoff> > To begin with, I think the correct interpretation is that the output
geoff> > buffer is required to have the same size as the modulus, so logically,
geoff> > an output size parameter isn't required except for checking purposes.
geoff>
geoff> Well yes, my point had been that the output size is the only size
geoff> parameter in the prototype. That's perhaps indicative of the state of
geoff> affaires. :-)

Uhmm, say what?  Currently, the only size parameter is the input size
(flen).  We're still talking about the RSA_{public,private}_encrypt()
functions, right?

geoff> > I guess that allowing an input size that's smaller than the modulus
geoff> > size could be doable, but isn't adviceable for security reasons or
geoff> > something like that...
geoff>
geoff> Well it could all be handled relative to the padding
geoff> parameters, the issue again is that the API isn't exposed in
geoff> this form and changing it involves ... well, you know very well
geoff> what that involves. <shudder>

Actually, I don't, but give me some time to re-read the thread, 'cause
I've obviously missed something...

geoff> I think this is just one of those things that doesn't warrant
geoff> us messing with it right now - if someone cares enough, they
geoff> could clarify the relevant docs.

I've already made a small change that explains what's expected when
RSA_NO_PADDING is used...

-----

Richard Levitte   \ Tunnlandsvägen 52 \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  \ S-168 36  BROMMA  \ T: +46-708-26 53 44
                    \      SWEDEN       \
Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis                -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the OpenSSL development team: http://www.openssl.org/

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.