On Thu, Dec 16, 2004, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:02:28 -0800 (PST),
> Marius Schilder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> marius_schilder> Any chance a patch like this can make it into the
> marius_schilder> dist, eventually?
>
> Not chance for the 0.9.7 series, since it changes a public structure.
> For 0.9.8, I'm gonna leave it to others to decide.

It could probably be handled without any incompatible changes (or indeed any
changes at all) to the relevant structures.

I did some studies of precomputation for DSA some time ago. You can get some
spectacular increases in speed for signing operations (10X seemed quite
possible) at the expense of using large lookup tables (some running into
several Mb).

I believe however that a lot of this stuff is patented. The more obvious
techniques certainly: I think this patch uses one of those. That in itself
isn't a showstopper since we've included patented code before and we'd just
need an option to exclude it.

There may be less obvious techniques that can provide comparable performance
improvements that are not patented. The EC code for example uses
precomputation. If one of those could be used it would be better.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.