On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 01:17:29PM -0500, Jim Schneider wrote:
> On Thursday 20 January 2005 13:03, Samuel Meder wrote:
> > Got a question: It seems that OpenSSL allows the cert chain to be any
> > number of certificates which it then treats as a pool to build the cert
> > chain from whereas RFC 2246 says the certificate chains must be ordered
> > and no redundant certs are allowed (+/- CA cert):
>
> I'm not sure I understand this - are you saying you've found a way to get
> OpenSSL to create a chain that contains the same CA cert more than once?

Based on the OP's reference to RFC 2246, I presume he means the list of certs
in the Certificate message. The RFC states that the list should only include
exactly the certs needed: "The sender's certificate must come first in the
list. Each following certificate must directly certify the one preceding it."

Apparently OpenSSL isn't checking for this.

> What would the patch tighten up?

Presumably, change it so OpenSSL ensures the other side is not sending totally
random extra certificates in the Certificate message during the SSL/TLS
handshake.

-Jack