I've chosen to unify VC-32.pl and VC-CE.pl instead. I mean VC-CE.pl is
gone now and VC-32.pl is expected to take care of all Windows flavors,
Win32, Win64 and WinCE. See http://cvs.openssl.org/chngview?cn=14275
for reference.

I see. I downloaded the latest 0.9.8-snapshot, and it generates correct
cedll.mak.

I've been browsing through MSDN and didn't quite figured out where _WIN32_WCE and platform-specific pre-processor macros get assigned/defined. Most notably I used to believe that they're pre-defined by compiler driver itself, but [this time?] I failed to find an explicit reference confirming that this is actually case. I found reference that at least _WIN32_WCE is defined through project preferences as -D_WIN32_WCE=$(CEVersion). Now, VC-32.pl passes down $(WCETARGETDEFS), but does it actually cover _WIN32_WCE? Can you double-check this? Or better yet, can you post how WCETARGETDEFS is [normally] expanded?

Just in case, there is ongoing discussion about improving CE support,
which goes under "OpenSSL for Windows Mobile 2003" subject, see for
example http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=112185232800001&r=1&w=2.

I feel changing too many things at once is not a good idea. How about
making the current code to compile on the corrent supported platforms
first, then making changes for other platforms such as eVC4 + PPC2003SDK
if needed. After that, remove dependencies on wcecompat for platforms
which allow that.

Well, the way I feel is that "currently supported platforms" needs definition first:-) And once again [as already mentioned in above mentioned thread] I still fail to see why PPC2003 needs special treatment. I'd rather classify them by _WIN32_WCE value or something similar. A.