On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 05:38:39PM +0100, Andy Polyakov wrote:
> >(and doesn't affect any non-linux platform anyway).
>
> How come it turns from unsure "should be portable" to definitive
> "doesn't affect" so easily:-)

it should be portable across all ELF targets ... after all, you're just adding
an elf program header which any elf loader worth its salt would ignore if it
didnt support it

the code itself though would require GNU as ... but i havent poked through the
code before so maybe that requirement is already covered ?

> But anyway. My vote goes to alternative method, which can be deployed as
> easily as './config -Wa,--noexecstack' prior make.

or maybe add it to the default configure code as a normal check ?  i'm pretty
sure there is no case where you wouldnt want to use the flag if your toolchain
supported it
-mike