> It is not only fips_canister.c which cannot be modified. *NOTHING* in the
> fips-1.0 tarball can be modified without invalidating the certification. There
> is a published hash for that tarball in the security policy and it is
> effectively frozen.
>
> The possibility of including minor non-cryptographic changes in a "fast
> track" followup certification may exist.

Ah, I thought it was only the files listed with HMAC-SHA-1
signatures/hashes in Appendix B of the OpenSSL Security Policy PDF:
http://oss-institute.org/images/OpenSSL_SecurityPolicy_FINAL.pdf

Obviously, I was assuming (hoping) too much there :)

We may be willing to sponsor or help sponsor a followup certification
depending on $$.

I would hope the goal is to support all platforms OpenSSL is capable of
running on with the FIPS validation, so I hope my patch is not
totally useless :)

-Brad