16458:error:25066067:DSO support routines:DLFCN_LOAD:could not load the
shared library:dso_dlfcn.c:162:filename(libz.so): dlopen(libz.so, 2):
                                          ^^^^^^^

great. why is openssl looking for libz.*so* on a _mac_ in the first place?

Because DSO_convert_filename(dso, NULL) called from dlfcn_load(),
which calls dlfcn_name_converter() is only expecting to load DSO's.
As explained in my previous e-mail, Mac OSX differentiates between
DSO's and dynamic libraries (no other system I know of does this).
The fix is to either patch this function to find the file and
return the .so or the .dylib extension as appropriate, or modify
dlfcn_load() to attempt both .dylib and .so extensions on MacOSX,
or just generate all the engine DSO's with the filename of .dylib
(even though they're not dylib's), and patch the dlfcn_name_converter
to use .dylib as the extension instead of .so on MacOSX.

-Brad