Brad House wrote:

> I assume you didn't forget to compile OpenSSL with
> -DPURIFY before testing it with Valgrind, right?  That
> typically resolves most issues with Valgrind and false
> positives.  (Purify is a commercial valgrind competitor).

I am aware of the -DPURIFY compile flag, but I do not consider that
a useful solution to this problem.

The problem is that the vast, **vast** majority of people who might
want to valgrind code that links to openssl do not want to compile
and install openssl from source. They just want to use the precompiled
binary and development packages released by their distribution.

In addition, I'm not convinced of the quality of the -DPURIFY solution.
In the source code package for openssl-0.9.8c from Ubuntu I can only
find one usage of the PURFIFY define, this one:

    #ifndef PURIFY
    #if 0 /* Don't add uninitialised data. */
                MD_Update(&m,buf,j); /* purify complains */
    #endif
    #endif

Even in the official openssl.org 0.9.8e release, all I can find is
your version of the above:

    #ifndef PURIFY
                MD_Update(&m,buf,j); /* purify complains */
    #endif

So, firstly in the source code I was hacking the code the -DPURIFY was
supposed to affect is already being disabled. Secondly, if that code
is really as un-necessary as it seems to be, why is it still in there?

Erik