On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:19:31AM -0500, Richard Salz wrote:
> > Maybe valgrind should have a rule put in place which resets the
> > uninitialized data bit in the memory bitmap over the block of data
> > returned by the low level RAND_xxxx() functions provided by OpenSSL.
>
> Yes, exactly my point.    Until someone enhances valgrind, however,
> something like this might work well:
>         {
>                 RAND_bytes1
>                 Memcheck: Value1
>                 /* notused */
>                 RAND_bytes
>         }
> and repeat that four times with 2, 4, 8, 16 replacing the two 1's.

Valgrind can add some "magic" to the library to do "client requests"
so that it can for instance tell it to ignores that something
is unintialised.  I believe the proper macro for this
is VALGRIND_MAKE_MEM_DEFINED which is in <valgrind/memcheck.h>.
You could use those macro's just before the MD_Update() calls.

Kurt