Richard Salz wrote:
double/triple check over it). Whatever fix you guys come up with, as
long
as SSL_shutdown() ends up having sane (somehow aligned to SSL_read, SSL_write, etc...) semantics WRT non-blocking BIOs.

Nope. Maybe a new shutdown that has your semantics, but do not break existing code.

Great lets do that then have a SSL_shutdown2() based on my patch.

Would Davide be so kind as to look over the following openssl-dev list post for the semantics I suggest and confirm that logic would work for him:

http://marc.info/?l=openssl-dev&m=115153998821797&w=2

Maybe Davide could also try my PATCH2 and confirm that he can get sane working non-blocking semantics with the new behavior. I think my patch is easier all around and does not introduce this new WANT_SHUTDOWN voodoo (which I think is unnecessary when I've been able to solve this problem in a way inline with the way OpenSSL is).

I would also be surprised if my patch breaks existing code, since a return value of -1 should be allowed to SSL_shutdown(), all I'm doing is nailing down exactly what -1/WANT_WRITE, -1/WANT_READ, 0 and 1 return codes mean in the context of a shutdown.

Yes its a change, yes its going to break someones code, so I'm more than happy with having a new SSL_shutdown2() API call, if you consider this a real compatibility issue.

Darryl