> Further, on some systems you can't link with libpthread
> if you intend to use fork(). I have two builds of my
> software, one that does fork()ing and one that does
> pthread_create()ing. So I am trying to avoid having to have two
> installations of OpenSSL on every build platform.

I find it hard to believe that there exists a platform where:

1) OpenSSL is supported,

2) Multiple threads are supported through a pthreads-like interface and are
created with a pthread_create function.

3) You cannot link to the pthreads library and still use fork, and

4) It is possible to compile a library such that it can be used by either a
threaded or a non-threaded process.

In any event, even if there did exist a platform this bizarre, you'd just
need to have two installations of OpenSSL on that one platform.

There are very few, if any, platforms left that support a pthreads-like
interface but have such glaring holes in their POSIX-compliance.

DS